You’ll love this cauliflower soup recipe that is made with only 5 ingredients. So rich, creamy, and savory.
Can you believe it is already April 2016?!! Where has the new year vanished? It’s a quarter of the way gone!
I remember when everyone was preparing for doomsday when the year 2000 was upon us. It was a Y2K meltdown, and I won’t lie, my mother was prepped for the world to end better than any store. But then the world didn’t end and it was just another day with our garage filled with every food staple under the sun. Fun stuff.
I love New Year’s because of the concept of a fresh start. I know you are all thinking “Here we go again with this “new year/new me gig.” But when you really think about it, what’s not to love about people wanting to improve their quality of life? I like to have goals because it makes me feel like my life is something that I’m living and not just a stationary place where I’m an observer. My goals may not always be grand, you’ll never see or hear me say “my goal is to run a marathon” because that’s just not something I ever want to do. My goals are more like: I need to get through all the queued shows and movies I have on Netflix.
On a serious note and along the “goal” line, one of the big goals I set for myself this year is to really expand my cooking knowledge. I had been thinking about this for a while and in November I booked private cooking classes with a classically trained chef and I booked cooking classes at a few of the cooking school establishments where I live. Since December, I have had the chef over twice and have attended a Thai cooking class. I really am learning so many different techniques, it’s probably the best money I will ever spend because I’m getting something out of it that I can use long-term–an education.
A few weeks ago I had the opportunity to have a chef in my home and do a one-on-one cooking class. We made some delicious food, but my favorite is this 5-ingredient cauliflower soup recipe. It’s delicious and easy…and some days easy works.
How are you doing on your New Year’s resolutions?
This 5-ingredient cauliflower soup recipe is:
Very high in vitamin C
- 1 onion, cut in half and slice into crescents
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) vegan butter (such as Earth Balance)
- 4 cups (32 ounces) vegetable stock
- 1 head cauliflower, cleaned and cut
- 1/2 cup unsweetened soy milk
- Dairy-free cheese, to garnish (optional)
- Fresh mint, to garnish (optional)
- In a large pot turn the heat up to medium. Add in the butter and the onions slices. Do not burn the onions, make sure to cook them long enough for them to tenderize (soften) and become translucent.
- While the onions and butter are cooking, take out your chopping board and cut your cauliflower up into manageable chunks and set aside (I tend to like the stem cut off of mine, but it’s your own preference). This will allow the vegetable to cook faster and blend easier.
- Once the onions have become translucent, add the cauliflower and the vegetable stock turning your heat up to medium high. Make sure during this entire process you are checking and periodically stirring the mixture. Allow the mixture to come to a light boil then add in about 1 cup to 1 1/2 cups of soy milk. Reduce the heat to low and allow it to simmer until the cauliflower has become soft.
- Once the cauliflower has softened, take a ladle and scoop enough of the soup mixture into a blender (filling the blender half way) and blend (puree) until creamy and smooth. Working in batches, blend the remaining soup mixture until all the mixture is eventually blended.
- Ladle the soup into bowls. Add salt to taste and garnish with fresh mint and dairy-free cheese.