This 5-star homemade spaghetti recipe is a meatless Italian dish that is flavorful, quick, and easy enough for a weeknight family meal!
Happy National Spaghetti Day!
Did you even know there was a national spaghetti day? Neither did I until I ran upon this website that tells you what day has a special food day! So I thought I’d share with you a delicious 5-star homemade spaghetti recipe that I made New Year’s Eve night that is completely meatless. Who ever said that spaghetti had to have meat in it to be awesome?
I celebrated New Year’s Eve in style…with my dogs, cat, two guinea pigs, and a big bowl full of this 5-star homemade spaghetti recipe. Mr. Chef had to work New Year’s Eve night and Sister Chef went to a party with friends. I didn’t mind being home with the animals and doing my own thing. I just cuddled up in a blanket, next to the fire, with a big bowl of this awesome homemade spaghetti in my lap slurping it up like a dog, while flipping the TV channels between New York’s New Year’s Eve celebration and Ghost Adventures. It was exciting, let me tell you!
At Church today, a friend asked me what I did for New Year’s Eve and I told her I’m an old fogie and did nothing but hang out with the animals and watch TV. Then she asked “Did you fall asleep before midnight?” “Nope. I was up until 1 AM,” I said, “watching the ball drop and listening to fireworks explode outside.” (Notice I left out the Ghost Adventures part out. LOL.) “Well, you aren’t an old fogie, then,” she matter-of-factly informed me. “You aren’t an old fogie until you go to sleep before midnight.”
I liked that. So, I’m not an old fogie after all. I’ve still got a few years under my belt.
- 1 package (16 ounces) spaghetti noodles
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
- 3 garlic cloves, minced or pressed, or to taste
- 1 jar (26 ounces) meatless spaghetti sauce
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans (chickpeas), rinsed and drained
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) diced tomatoes with garlic and onion, undrained
- 1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 cup finely chopped basil
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 cup vegan Parmesan cheese, to garnish
- Cook spaghetti according to packaged instructions and drain.
- Meanwhile, warm oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and saute onion, mushrooms, and garlic until tender and flavorful. Add remaining ingredients to the skillet, except for Parmesan, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Discard bay leaf and pour mixture over cooked spaghetti noodles. If desired, garnish with Parmesan.
Recipe inspired at Taste of Home by Quick Cooking March/April 2005, p40