This 5-star recipe for Fried Rice has luscious vegetables and savory seasonings. A family favorite. Eat it as a main dish or serve it as a side.
When I was prego with my first child (not Prego spaghetti sauce, but rather pregnant), I CRAVED fried rice. I lived and breathed it like it was my last breath. I could’ve eaten it every night. I don’t know why my body craved it so much…maybe it was because it was something my body could hold down. Maybe it was the salt or salty soy sauce. I would drive Mr. Chef crazy with late night outings to the local Chinese restaurant. They got to know him well and me by first name–does that tell you how often we went? I swore when my child was born he was going to be Asian.
I’m very picky about my fried rice–I had 9 whole months–well, technically 7 1/2 months beings Brother Chef came 5 1/2 weeks early–to perfect it. I know which restaurants have thee best fried rice. My fried rice recipe has to have lucious vegetables in it with savory flavorings like soy sauce and ginger.
I hope you enjoy this recipe like we do!
- 4 servings of cooked jasmine rice, cooled (Break up the chunks)
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2-inches of fresh ginger, grated
- 2 celery stalks, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 1/ cup carrots, peeled and chopped (optional)
- 1/2 small Chinese or savoy cabbage, shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 cups cooked long-grain rice
- 8 ounces extra firm tofu
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric
- Make rice according to package instructions for 4 servings. Set aside and allow to cool.
- Warm up 2 tablespoons of oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add onion and ginger and saute for about 2 minutes, stirring often.
- Mix in celery (and carrots, if desired) and stir fry for 5 minutes; stirring constantly. Add cabbage, pepper, soy sauce, and rice. Cook stirring constantly for another 2 to 3 minutes or until the mixture is heated through. Remove from heat, cover, and set aside.
- In a separate small skillet, heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil over medium high heat. When hot, add crumbled tofu, salt, and tumeric. Stir often until salt and turmeric is well combined and tofu is lightly browned and warmed through (approximately 2 minutes). Add tofu to rice mixture and stir until well combined.