Everything tastes better when it’s homemade…
I love fried rice. I just love it.
When I was a girl in elementary school, my dad was the head basketball coach of a collegiate team. After the games, we would listen to the highlights on the radio on our way home. Without fail, we would stop at this amazing Chinese restaurant to order fried rice. Actually, we really didn’t even have to order it. My mom was such a regular after the games, they often had a box ready just for her. They even knew her by name!
Oh the aroma of the fried rice as we would drive home. The smell was almost unbearable to have to wait until we got home to eat it. This was mom’s comfort food. It must’ve had some kind of magical power to relieve her nerves. You know how tense games can get and when your husband’s name and career are on the line after each game, well, you can see why food can often become a comfort. And it might explain why I craved fried rice so bad when I was pregnant!
I saw this recipe on Pinterest by Rachel Schultz and it looked just like the fried rice we used to get growing up and I longed for that memory! I just had to try it out.
Start out by cooking your rice on the stove top and set it aside. Meanwhile, chop up your onion and mince the garlic. Saute the onions in sesame oil until the onions are transparent.
Add peas and carrots and garlic and stir until veggies are tender.
Next, crack some eggs into your veggies. Stir around as if you are scrambling the eggs until they are cooked.
Add chicken, rice, and soy sauce to the mix and voilà! You have amazing chicken fried rice. Better than take out!
- 4 cups brown rice, prepared
- 2 cups rotisserie chicken, chopped or 1/2 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts cooked
- 1 cup frozen peas and carrots, thawed
- 1/2 white onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- Prepare rice per package directions and set aside. I like making mine in a rice cooker but if you don't have one, no worries! The stove top works just fine.
- In a large skillet heat sesame oil and sauté onion until transparent. Add the garlic, peas and carrots. Cook until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Crack eggs over the vegetables and stir throughout the vegetables while scrambling the eggs.
- Add the chicken, rice, and soy sauce. Stir until soy sauce is well incorporated.
- Remove from stove and serve hot.