It’s my birthday! Gah! Yep, thought I’d announce it to the world! Another year closer to 50! Dang it! I still feel like I’m in my 20’s other than the fact that my back is going out, wrinkles are expressing themselves, brown spots are popping out, and weight is creeping up on my stomach, hips, and thighs. Other than that, I feel like I’m in my 20’s! The most dreaded birthday I ever had was when I turned 32! You’re probably laughing. But when I was young, my mother was pregnant with my youngest brother at 32. I remember seeing her in the hospital and thinking she looked so old! Oh my, if my mom knew I had even thought that, she would’ve kicked me in the butt. Of course she WASN’T old at all! Looking back on those pictures, she looked YOUNG. And she STILL looks young. So when I turned 32, I was like “Gah! I’m old. I look old!” But I got over it and now I’m approaching 50. Sigh. Life goes on…
Anyway, Attention Deficit here, let’s get to this new Black Bean Burger With Mushrooms recipe that I want to share with you. I think we’ll try and have a BBQ for my birthday in our 9-degree weather and cook these on the grill! NOT! Mr. Chef will be making these babies in the oven. Yes, I did say Mr. Chef. He will cater to me on my birthday. The kids will clean the house until it sparkles. And a Kim-Kardashian-Like Party will be held in my honor. Pop*Pop*Pop (that’s my fantasy popping). Who am I kidding? But one of my fantasies will be fulfilled–Mr. Chef will be cooking dinner (or maybe even take me out to dinner!).
These Black Bean Burgers With Mushrooms are very hearty, flavorful, and low in fat. They shape easily into patties. Even non-vegetarians will enjoy this recipe. Serve it between toast, whole grain buns, toasted English muffins, or alone!
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 8 ounces mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Bread crumbs
- 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 ounces (about 1/2 cup) cheddar cheese, finely shredded
- Salt and ground pepper, to taste
- 4 English muffins, 2 slices toast, or hamburger buns, toasted
- Salsa and sour cream for serving (optional)
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat and saute onions and mushrooms. Saute until onions are transparent and mushrooms are cooked through. Stir in minced garlic, cumin and paprika. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a food processor, pulse together mushrooms and beans until chunky, not smooth. Add bean mixture into a medium bowl. Toss in bread crumbs. Add the shredded cheese, salt and pepper. With your hands, knead the mixture until it resembles ground hamburger. Separate into 4 patties.
- Heat the grill on medium heat or turn broiler on high. Place patties on the grill or the middle rack in the oven and cook for 5 minutes or until heated through and crisp; turning once in the process.
- Serve between toast, whole grain buns, toasted English muffins, or alone!
Recipe adapted from Brown Eyed Baker