Break out of your breakfast rut with this healthy breakfast scramble that is high in manganese, selenium, and vitamin E with no cholesterol.
I’ve had people ask me what I do for eggs beings I don’t eat eggs…
Well, it’s easy…I use tofu to make scrambled eggs. Tofu is plain and so you can spice it up however you want. It soaks up the flavors and makes the dish you are making oh so tasty. Plus it’s a hearty breakfast.
This healthy breakfast scramble is easy to make and a great substitute for eggs, especially if you are allergic to them.
With tofu being white, how does the tofu get yellow like eggs? It’s no secret…it is turmeric.
Turmeric gives tofu its golden hue and has a warm peppery flavor. I’m sure that turmeric isn’t new to you. If you use mustard, look at the ingredients and you’ll see turmeric listed. This gives mustard it’s yellow base. It also gives curry its yellow color.
Turmeric has wonderful health benefits. It’s an old indian spice that is in the ginger family. It is most powerful, however, in essential oil form. Here are some of its uses and effectiveness:
It’s a natural anti-inflammatory
Boosts the immune system
Improves brain function
Helps lower risk of heart disease
Helps inhibit cancer cell growth and kills cancer cells
Has good benefits against depression
Assists in lowering blood cholesterol levels
Lowers blood glucose levels and reserves insulin resistance
These are the things I have researched. But as always, I am not a doctor or nutritionist, so check with your nutritionist before using turmeric to treat health conditions.
If you make this recipe, let me know by leaving a comment and rating the recipe. Better yet, take a picture of your creation and tag it #bakerettejen on Instagram! I’d love to see what you’ve come up with!
- 8 ounces extra-firm tofu, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon grape seed oil or canola oil
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 yukon potato, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 to 2 teaspoons cilantro, to taste
- Choice of salsa, to garnish
- About 15 to 20 minutes before cooking tofu, place on several layers of paper towels and top with a heavy plate and allow the paper towels to absorb liquid. Transfer to a bowl and mash with a fork into curmbles.
- In a sauce pan, steam potatoes for about 5 minutes over medium-high heat.
- While potatoes are steaming, heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook until transparent (about 5 minutes), add garlic and continue cooking until flavorful (about 1 minute). Stir in crumbled tofu, salt andpepper, and continue to cook, stirring occasionally for about 3 to 4 minutes. Add turmeric and stir until well blended. Add potatoes into the scramble and cook for about 1 minutes more.
- Eat while warm or store in an airtight container up to a week in the refrigerator and warm up for those days you need a quick breakfast.