Enjoy this Pineapple and nut “cheese” ball recipe. It’s the perfect party appetizer for crackers, celery, and apples. Your guests will love it and will be amazed it contains no cheese. Shhh. Our secret.
This is a successful day because I finally made a cheese ball that is, well, cheeseless, and oh how mah-velous it was, darling!
My friend Jayne and her family recently gave up dairy and since then, she’s been experimenting with so many different recipes so they can still enjoy the same cheesy goodness without feeling “deprived” of all the wonderful cheese dishes out there.
When I went to Jayne’s house the other day, she had finished making this pineapple and nut “cheese” ball recipe and guess who got to be her guinea pig (outside her family)? You got it, little ole special me! I was more than happy to indulge. In fact, she even let me try it with her homemade Wheat Thins (which I will be showcasing in another post–heaven!). I LOVED it.
This cheeseless pineapple and nut vegan “cheese” ball recipe was Jayne’s favorite and I would agree (although I haven’t tasted her others–yet!–I’m dying to try her cranberry one!). It was so yummy (notice I said “was”. It was devoured within minutes. Well, maybe not that fast, but it was devoured.).
I must add, that Jayne rolled her cheese ball in sliced almonds, but I didn’t have sliced almonds on hand, so I experimented and rolled mine in chopped pine nuts and pistachios. I will add it was mah-velous, darling! :-)
If you make this recipe, let me know by leaving a comment and rating the recipe. Better yet, take a picture of your creation and tag it #bakerettedotcom on Instagram! I’d love to see what you’ve come up with!
For more delicious appetizer recipes, you might like:
- 1 1/2 cups raw cashews
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 to 4 tablespoons water
- 2 small green onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup crushed pineapple, well drained
- Garlic salt, to taste
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup sliced almonds or nuts of choice (I used chopped pistachios and pine nuts).
- Place raw cashews in a bowl, fill with water, cover, and soak in refrigerator up to 8 hours or overnight. Drain and rinse with water.
- In a blender or food process, add cashews, lemon juice, vinegar, and 2 tablespoons water. Blend until smooth (about 2 minutes or more). If mixture is too thick to blend, add more water 1 tablespoon at a time.
- Wrap mixture in cheesecloth and suspend over a jar to drain out excess liquid. Leave in a warm place for at least 24 hours.
- Remove cheesecloth and place in a large bowl. Mix together cashew cream cheese, pineapple, and green onions until well combined. Garlic salt to taste. Place in a bowl lined with plastic wrap, pull up ends and wrap; shaping into a ball.
- Put in freezer for an hour, remove, and roll in nuts of choice, re-forming the ball as necessary. Return to freezer for another hour to firm up. Store in refrigerator (if it keeps that long!) up to 1 week.