Don’t you love family gatherings at Christmas-time? I heart family gatherings. It’s fun to play games, snack on foods, laugh, and maybe even argue. But, hey, not every family is perfect. I tease that our family puts the “fun” in dysfunctional. That’s just how it is. F-A-M-I-L-Y.
On Pinterest I saw an adorable picture of a vegetable tray in the shape of a Christmas tree and I fell in love with it. I just HAD to try it…and it worked! So dang cute, if I may say so myself. I wasn’t in love with my star, but that can always be perfected. Maybe next time. This will be great for our family gathering.
This vegetable tray is made with hummus, broccoli, cherry tomatoes, cauliflower, and a fruit or vegetable shaped into a star. It’s a tree even Santa will love. He might even leave a present under it, too! Score! Okay, maybe not, but it would be cool if he did! Hint-hint honey!
- 1 container (17 ounces) prepared hummus (flavor of your choice)
- 1 head broccoli florets (reserve the stem)
- 1 head of cauliflower florets
- 6-8 cherry or grape tomatoes
- Fruit or vegetable to shape in a star
- On a medium-sized serving platter, spread out the hummus evenly in the inside of the plate.
- Using the broccoli florets, press florets into the humus shaping it into a Christmas tree as you go (from top to bottom). Your florets should be around the same size.
- Shape the reserved broccoli stem to make the tree trunk. Place at the base of the "tree".
- Using the cauliflower florets, begin pressing the cauliflower into the hummus to fill in all of the empty spaces around the tree and frame it.
- Garnish your "tree" with "ornaments" by using cherry or grape tomatoes. Top with a star fruit or vegetable star and serve.