A new twist on whipping cream…Coconut milk! A light and refreshing coconut whipping cream that is amazingly delicious and dairy-free. Top it on pies, fruit, hot chocolate and more. Possibilities are endless.
Using the solid cream from full-fat coconut milk, you can whip up the cream much in the same way as heavy whipping cream. Combine it with vanilla and confectioner’s sugar to sweeten. Use on pies, fruit, and hot chocolate…the possibilities are endless!
- 1 can (14 oz.) full-fat coconut milk (it must be full-fat because you'll be using the solid cream from the fat). My preferred brand is Whole Foods' 365 Organic Coconut Milk or Native Forest Organic Coconut Milk Classic.
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, rum, maple syrup, or other flavoring
- 1 Tablespoon sugar or confectioner's sugar, or 1/2 teaspoon Agave nectar
- Refrigerate coconut milk overnight to harden the cream.
- Just prior to making the whipped cream, refrigerate a medium-sized mixing bowl in the freezer for 5 minutes.
- Flip the chilled can from the fridge upside down and open the can. The liquid will be at the top of the can. Discard the liquid into a separate bowl and set aside to use another time for smoothies or even hot chocolate! The remaining contents in the can will be hardened coconut cream.
- Scoop the coconut cream into the chilled bowl.
- Using an electric mixer, whip the cream on high until light and fluffy and soft peaks form when a beater is lifted. Add sugar and vanilla, or other preferred flavoring, and whip until well incorporated.
- Cover and refrigerate up to 2 hours before serving, whisking briefly before serving.
- Use on pies, fruit, cocoa, Jell-o, or any items you would regularly use heavy whipping cream.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 10 days.