This creamy asparagus soup recipe is sure to be a family favorite with just 6 ingredients! It’s also gluten-free and vegan.
Top of the mornin’ to you! This creamy asparagus soup recipe is small in ingredients but LARGE in taste! I think this soup recipe will become a family favorite. The bonus side of of this creamy asparagus soup is that it’s a very simple soup recipe to make and it’s thickened with potato instead of cream, making it a lower-fat alternative.
I’m not really a projects person when it comes to St. Patrick’s Day crafts, but I AM a cook and I love to make green recipes or celebrate St. Patrick’s Day with Irish recipes.
For example, I’ve made this amazinglyeasy but classic St. Patrick’s Day dish that is great for a traditional Irish meal:
Make-Ahead Shepherd’s Pie Recipe
Are you a choco-holic like me? You’ll love these healthy, No-Bake Andes Chocolate Mint Bars that are green, festive and oh so delicious!
No matter how you wrap it up, I think you’ll love this soup recipe. This creamy asparagus soup is:
Very low in cholesterol
Low in calories
Low in fat
High in dietary fiber
High in iron
High in manganese
High in potassium
High in thiamine
Very high in vitamin A
High in vitamin B6
Very high in Vitamin C
There’s nothing but positivity about this creamy asparagus soup recipe. Serve it with slices of French bread (I have a fantastic and easy French bread recipe) and a large, vegetable-packed salad!
Mwah! xoxo Jeni
- 1 ½ lbs. asparagus spears, trimmed
- 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil
- 1 ½ cups finely chopped shallots (about 10)
- ½ pounds boiling potatoes, peeled and cut into ½-inch slices
- 4 cups water
- 2 vegetable bouillon cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Coarsely ground black pepper, to taste
- Freshly chopped parsley, to garnish
- Set aside 8 spears of asparagus to garnish. With the remaining asparagus, chop into 1-inch slices.
- Warm oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in shallots and saute until shallots are golden brown (about 8-10 minutes); stirring often. Mix in potatoes, chopped asparagus and water. Cover and turn heat up to medium-high heat and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to low and stir in bouillon cube and salt. Cover and cook until potatoes are fork tender (about 20 mins); stirring occasionally.
- While soup is stewing, blanch remaining asparagus spears in a pot of lightly salted boiling water (about 3 minutes). Remove from water, place in a colander and immediately rinse under cold water; set aside.
- In a blender or food processor, transfer soup in batches and blend until smooth and creamy. Return to pot and stir in lemon juice and ground pepper and simmer until soup is warmed through. Divide between 4 bowls and garnish with asparagus spears and if desired, freshly chopped parsley. Serve while hot.
Recipe adapted from VegetarianTimes.com