Warm up your bones with this creamy, perfectly healthy, low-fat, gluten-free recipe for curried butternut squash soup
I was recently on a food and decoration committee for a women’s conference. We had over 150 women attend and we served a smorgasboard of soups and salads; one of the soups we served was this amazingly creamy, healthy, low-fat, gluten-free and vegan recipe for curried butternut squash soup.
A woman on our committee created this recipe and I knew it would be a HUGE success from the get-go. Just the individual words Curried…Butternut…Squash…Soup sound scrumptious.
After I made this soup recipe, I was in LOVE! It was so simple to make. Seriously. I thought it would be time-intensive, but it wasn’t anything like that. The time actually went by rather quickly making it; especially with the already pre-bought cubed squash! A HUGE time saver and the additional cost is well worth it! The result for this curried butternut squash soup is divine!
In fact, after all the women went through the line to dish up their soup and salads, I went through. This was the soup that went first! When I saw how low the pot was, I was so glad I had reserved a bowl for myself at home! Shhhh, don’t tell! I’m selfish like that.
This recipe for curried butternut squash soup is:
Light but filling
Low in fat
High in calcium
High in fiber
High in magnesium
High in potassium
Very high in Vitamin A
High in vitamin B12
Very high in vitamin C
If you love this curried butternut squash soup recipe, I think you’ll also enjoy these other soup recipes for…
M-wah xoxo Jen
- 2 pounds butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch cubes (it saves a LOT of time if you buy pre-chopped)
- Sea salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- Onion powder, to taste
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 large onion, sliced and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes, plus more to garnish
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 32 ounces vegetable stock
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk
- Fresh lime juice, to taste
- Sunflower seeds (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking pan with foil and lightly rub down with coconut oil. Add cubed butternut squash in a single layer. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and onion powder to taste. Bake for approximately 20-30 minutes or until lightly golden brown.
- Meanwhile, In a large stock pot, warm up coconut oil over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, and celery and saute until onion is golden brown. Add cooked squash to sauteed vegetables. Mix in curry, cumin, salt, red pepper flakes, onion powder, and paprika until well combined.
- Working in batches, add vegetables to blender or food processor. Add a portion of the vegetable broth and puree until smooth and creamy. Repeat until finished.
- Return soup to stock pot over medium heat; stir in coconut milk, and warm through. Stir in in fresh lime juice to taste. The lime really brings the flavors alive.
- Lightly garnish with red pepper flakes and sunflower seeds.
Recipe by Faith Erickson of West Jordan, Utah