Make this egg-free dairy-free French toast made with wholesome, all-natural ingredients like almond milk, chia seeds, agave, and cinnamon. Smother it in strawberries and syrup and you’ll think you’ve died and gone to heaven. Seriously. Died.
I’m a French Toast sort of gal. How about you?
If you are, I think no one on earth should say no to this egg-free dairy-free French toast! It’s made with wholesome, all-natural ingredients like almond milk, chia seeds, agave, and cinnamon. Smother this French toast in butter and confectioner’s sugar or in a berry or maple syrup or topped with my yummy Coconut Whipped Cream. You will think you’ve died and gone to heaven. Seriously. Died.
If you are on a vegan. vegetarian or plant-based diet or you’re simply allergic to eggs and dairy, this egg-free dairy-free French toast is for you! You no longer have to go without! Give me a round of applause please (or rather The Minimalist Baker because she’s the creator of this dish)!
When I went from vegetarian to vegan, I thought French toast went out the window with it because traditionally the bread is gooped in egg. So when I saw this recipe on the Minimalist Baker’s website, I was totally stoked to try it. So stoked in fact that I went home and made it for dinner. (I’m also a breakfast-for-dinner-kind-of-gal. Ya digging me?)
The idea of a vegan French toast is to get the batter to mimic egg, so using a chia egg base is the key. It thickens up wonderfully and you end up having the consistency of an egg batter. I think a lot of people think that you HAVE to have eggs whenever you are baking. Not so. There are so many other alternatives like chia egg, flax egg, banana, avocado, Ener-G, and more. I prefer the chia egg (mainly because I’m allergic to flax and have to carry an Epi-pen around because everything these days is getting flax put in it!).
This egg-free dairy-free French toast tastes AMAZING. I love how this French toast recipe has added cinnamon. It gives it an extra zing with a wonderful aroma. But if you aren’t a cinnamon-sort-of-gal, you can omit it. But I’d give it a whirl.
No matter how you like your French toast, you will love this egg-free dairy-free French toast version. Don’t say no. Say go to this French toast recipe.
Keep calm and bake on y’all.
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 heaping tablespoon ground chia seeds
- 1/2 tablespoon agave nectar (you can also use brown syrup or maple syrup)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 6-8 slices bread (I love using Texas toast that is dairy-free and egg-free but you can also use regular sandwich bread or rustic bread)
- Garnish with syrup, powdered sugar, berries, coconut whipped cream, or topping of choice.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk all ingredients, but the bread, together until well combined. Refrigerate for 10-20 minutes or until mixture thickens similarly to the consistency of traditional French toast egg batter. Remove from fridge and whisk again.
- Heat griddle on medium heat (about 350 degrees Fahrenheit). Spray with cooking spray or melt a tablespoon of vegan butter or coconut oil.
- Set individual slices of bread in batter and let set for 20 seconds on each side (depending on thickness of bread, you may need to add or subtract time). Drain off excess, place on griddle and cook until golden brown (about 2-3 minutes on each side).
- Garnish with desired toppings.
Recipe adapted from the Minimalist Baker