This moist and sweet quick bread is more of a dessert. Zucchini and a double dose of chocolate star in this double chocolate zucchini bread.
I thought this recipe for double chocolate zucchini bread looked sooooo delicious! I stumbled upon this recipe at Once Upon A Chef when I was looking for a chocolaty delight and I couldn’t resist sharing this recipe with you too! You know I’ve got your back when it comes to chocolate! You all know that chocolate is my friend–and quite possibly my enemy, too! Let me explain…
I made these delicious loaves of zucchini bread and decided to share a few with some friends. While I was out delivering the goods, I decided to pull off to the side of the road to brush off all the bread crumbs on my lap (Yes. I will admit I brought my own loaf along to snack on. I’m incapable of driving without eating). Pulling the car to the side of the road, I carefully stepped out to avoid brushing them into the car. Standing up and starting to brush, I was shocked to see the car gradually continuing on its merry way.
Luckily, I caught up with it, jumped in, hit the brakes, and put the car into park. Something I had neglected to do in my caution to keep the crumbs safely in my lap until I was out of the car. Ahhh, sad, but true…I’m blonde. What can I say?
This week, I will attempt to deliver more. However, I already know there’s no chance I will have enough will power to forego eating the bread in the car though, so if I show up with chocolate bread crumbs all over me…. Please forgive me and just give thanks I’m alive!
Wishing you all a most wonderful (hopefully safer) day!
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) Earth Balance butter
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons light brown sugar, packed
- 3 teaspoons Ener-G Egg Replacer plus 4 tablespoons warm water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 2/3 cups all purpose flour, spooned into measuring cup and leveled off with a knife
- 1/3 cup Dutch-process cocoa powder (ok to substitute natural unsweetened cocoa powder)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups shredded zucchini (from 1-2 zucchini), gently packed
- 1 cup dairy-free semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. Coat one 8.5" x 4.5" loaf pan with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large microwave-safe dish, melt butter. Mix in brown sugar and stir until well blended. In a small bowl mix together egg replacer and water. Stir in egg-replacer mixture and vanilla to sugar mixture and whip in until blended.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Add to butter mixture and stir together until incorporated. Note: Mixture will be very thick. That's okay.
- Fold in shredded zucchini and chocolate chips.
- Spoon batter into prepared bread pan and smooth out evenly. Bake immediately for 60 to 65 minutes or until a toothpick enter into the middle of the loaf comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack and cool for about 10 minutes before turning out onto the rack to cool completely.
Recipe adapted from Once Upon A Chef