There’s nothing like hot (and easy) spiced apple cider on a chilly afternoon that fills the entire house with a welcoming aroma.
As Halloween approaches I begin to think of hay rides, going to pick out the perfect pumpkin,corn mazes and bonfires. Most of these are done after dark and it can get pretty chilly where I live. Warming up with a hot beverage, like this easy spiced apple cider recipe, makes the cold fly away.
This hot apple cider recipe is made with ingredients you have had stored since the summer: Dry lemonade mix and orange drink mix are two ingredients you may have left over from the summer BBQ’s and breakfast celebrations. All that is missing is a gallon of apple juice or apple cider. Either will work, so buy what is on sale.
I was providing refreshments at a family fun evening outing and decided that Doughnut Holes and Apple Cider would be perfect. But cold cider would not do. I wanted a drink that would leave everyone warmed inside too. I have a couple of really good mulled cider recipes in my file but, to be honest, I was too lazy to search for them. My recipe collection is getting out of control. So I thought that I could make up a recipe from scratch easier than trying to find my other recipes. I remembered most of the key ingredients so off I went to get some apple cider and cinnamon sticks.
- 2 gallons apple juice or apple cider
- 1 quart lemonade
- 1/2 cup powdered orange drink mix
- 1 box or 10 cinnamon sticks
- 2 tablespoons whole cloves
- In a large pot on medium high heat, add apple juice or apple cider. Stir in lemonade and orange drink mix until dissolved. Add cinnamon sticks.
- In a diffuser, add whole cloves and add to the pot.
- Heat until warm and simmering. Before serving, remove cinnamon sticks and cloves. Serve hot.