This is such an easy everything bagel recipe! Make the everything bagels ahead of time for those days you’re in a rush. They toast up well, too. They are low in fat, sugar, and are dairy and egg free!
As promised, I am well on my way to eating healthier on my plant-based eating plan. There are so many yummy recipes out there that eating healthy(er) doesn’t have to be boring! Just taking a little extra time to love yourself to health is well worth it. You will find your energy increasing, your moods lifting, and your weight shifting for the better!
I think you will love this vegan everything bagel recipe. Make them ahead of time (up to a week ahead) and you will love it on those days you are in a rush. Freeze them so you have plenty to draw on.
- 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast (1/4 ounce)
- 1 2/3 cups warm water
- 4 1/2 cups bread flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon barley malt syrup
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 1/2 cups bread flour
- about 3 quarts water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Optional toppings: Sesame seeds, Poppy seeds, Caraway seeds, Roasted Garlic, Pumpkin Seeds
- In a small bowl, mix together yeast and water and allow to sit for 10 minutes to foam and activate.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together flour, sugar, syrup, salt, onion powder, and garlic powder. Mix until well combined.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface and begin kneading the dough for 5 minutes or more until the dough is elastic and springs back when depressed with your finger. If the dough becomes too sticky in the kneading process, add a little flour until it's workable. Form into a ball and place in a lightly greased bowl. Turn once to grease the top.
- Punch down dough and knead a few minutes more (about 2 minutes). You can either cover your dough and store in the refrigerator up to a week until ready to use. Once ready, allow dough to warm to room temperature before shaping.
- Evenly divide dough into 10 pieces and roll each piece into an 8'inch rope. Moisten ends with water and shape into a circle, pressing to connect the ends. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet, cover with a cloth and let t he bagels proof for 10-20 minutes.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place in a warm area until double in size (about 45 minutes).
- In a large stockpot on high heat, bring 3 quarts water with 2 tablespoons sugar to a boil; reduce heat to medium to simmer. Place bagels 4 to 5 at a time into pot of simmering water for approximately 1 minutes. Transfer to the parchment-lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with desired toppings.
- Place in a preheated 425 degrees Fahrenheit oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Remove and transfer to a cooling rack.
Recipe adapted from VeganBaking.net