This quick bread is a combination of gingerbread and banana bread that is super moist and wonderfully laced with fall spices and nuts.
Hi there! I made you a cake. Well, a kind-of-cake shaped into a loaf that will for sure make you friends!
Do you need friends? I do. Sometimes I just have to bribe people to be my friend. Ha-ha. I swear making this gingerbread banana bread recipe will make you friends. :-)
This gingerbread banana bread loaf recipe is so moist and wonderfully laced with fall spices like cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and nutmeg. You’ll want to devour every single bite. Even though it’s a “bread”, we all totally know that it’s really a cake disguised as a bread, right? Which makes it totally acceptable to eat for breakfast, lunch, dinner, dessert, and, well, you get the picture. Perfectly acceptable to eat anytime…even in your sleep.
It’s the spices and gingerbread that really make this cake (I mean, bread).
- 1 3/4 cups mashed banana
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup soy milk OR oil
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup or agave
- 1/4 cup molasses (blackstrap or regular)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vinegar (apple cider or white is fine)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups spelt, white, or Bob's gluten free flour
- Pinch stevia (optional)
- 1/2 cup crushed walnuts or pecans (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a 9x5-inch loaf pan with parchment paper or grease the entire inside of pan.
- In a medium size bowl, mix together banana, vanilla, milk, syrup, molasses, and vinegar. In a separate large bowl, mix together remaining ingredients until well combined.
- Mix together dry and wet ingredients and shake loaf pan to smooth out batter. Top with crushed nuts.
- Bake on center rack for 33 minutes and turn off heat (do NOT open oven to even peek). Allow bread to set in oven for an additional 10 minutes. Remove and cool completely in pan before turning out onto a plate.
- Store bread in fridge for 2-3 days or freeze up to one month,
Recipe adapted from Chocolate Covered Katie