This healthy homemade carrot cake recipe is very moist, has a wonderful texture, with a perfect flavor. Top it with this thick and creamy dairy-free cream “cheese” frosting recipe for an extra spectacular spring dessert.
Looking for delicious Easter dessert recipes? Things are about to get awesome! This healthy homemade carrot cake recipe is perfect for Easter or spring!
Sometimes holidays can be a little hard when it comes to living a plant-based lifestyle, especially when eating at someone’s home. I ALWAYS volunteer to bring things that I can eat because Easter dinners seem to be full of ham, cheesy potatoes, and deviled eggs. It’s my contribution of this carrot cake that is life changing. :)
This carrot cake is health-ier than most because it’s made with less sugar, added applesauce, raisins, nuts and, of course, carrots providing some serious Vitamin A and no cholesterol. Yay!
This healthy homemade carrot cake is:
Very high in Vitamin A
Carrot cake just isn’t complete without sweet cream cheese frosting. This cream “cheese” frosting is amazing and is dairy free; making it vegan and vegetarian friendly. And, well, adding frosting really doesn’t make it as healthy, but what the heck! Let’s splurge on the holidays! But if you want to save on the calories, it’s just as delicious without the frosting; it sort of tastes like a delicious carrot cake bread.
If you love this recipe, I think you’ll also love this dessert recipe for spring or Easter. Try these delicious Lemon Glazed Shortbread Cookies by MadeFromPinterest.net
Follow me on Pinterest for wonderful, delicious, and fantastic ideas for Easter!
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted (can substitute canola oil)
- 2 1/4 cups cake flour**
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups grated carrots, medium packed
- 1/2 cup chopped raisins (optional)
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 1/2 cup dairy free cream cheese (such as Toffutti)
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, softened (such as Earth Balance)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour (soy flour works great, too!)
- 2 cups confectioners sugar
- For Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Lightly grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans; set aside. (May also substitute a 9 x 13-inch baking pan.)
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together applesauce, milk, vanilla, sugar, and oil.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together cake flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Mix in dry ingredients to wet ingredients until just combined. Fold in carrots, and if desired, chopped raisins.
- Bake for approximately 30 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted to the center of the cake comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack and allow to cool 10 minutes before turning out to cool completely. Allow cake to cool completely before frosting.
- While cake is cooling, beat together cream cheese and butter with an electric mixer until smooth and creamy. Add vanilla extract and beat until just combined. Add flour and confectioners sugar a little at a time and beat on high until light and fluffy. Add additional confectioners sugar as needed until you reach desired consistency. Refrigerate for approximately 20 minutes before frosting cake. Frost top of one cake; add the second cake on top, and continue frosting the rest of the cake until completely covered. If desired, sprinkle with chopped walnuts. Refrigerate.
Recipe inspired by LoveandLemons.com