Here’s the scoop. We’re going to have tacos for dinner, but instead of buying packets of taco seasoning, we’re going to make our own!
This homemade taco seasoning is da bombe! The spices tossed together make an incredible taco seasoning that you’ll probably not want to ever go back to seasoning packets. It’s all natural. No ingredients you can’t pronounce or that your body doesn’t need.
Why make your own? Grab a popular packet of taco seasoning and take a look at what’s in the ingredients. Here’s the list on my favorite taco seasoning packet: Yellow Corn Flour, Salt, Maltodextrin, Paprika, Modified Corn Starch, Sugar, Garlic Powder, Citric Acid, Autolyzed Yeast Extract, Natural Flavor, and Caramel Color.
What is natural flavor?
Why do you need caramel color?
And “spices”? What spices were added?
Citric acid? No thanks.
Yeast extract? Huh? Why do you need yeast extract?
430 mg of sodium per serving? Ouch.
So, um, after reading the ingredients, I think it only makes sense to make your own natural homemade taco seasoning.
This seasoning is awesome. It has all kinds of great seasonings in it like chili powder, cumin, garlic, red pepper flakes, oregano, salt and pepper, and paprika.
You can use this seasoning with ground beef, chicken, turkey, or even tofu. Use it not only for tacos, but for fajitas or anything you might want to add Mexican flavor to.
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- In a small bowl, toss together all ingredients and store in an airtight container.
- Pour 3 tablespoons taco seasoning over one pound of cooked meat. Add 1/2 to 3/4 cup water and simmer over medium heat until very little liquid is left in the pan.
Recipe adapted from Allrecipes.com