This kale and Brussels sprout salad recipe with lemon dijon dressing is so fresh and delicious and perfect for a holiday side dish. The salad holds up well and is even great to eat for leftovers the next day!
This kale and Brussels sprout salad recipe with Lemon Dijon dressing is one of my favorite salads. I get compliments every time I make it and repeatedly get asked for the recipe again and again.
I made this amazing kale and Brussels sprout salad recipe for the first time a couple of years ago at Thanksgiving and was surprised that even those who normally don’t eat kale and Brussels sprouts ate this one up. It made a fan out of those who don’t like these fabulous raw greens!
This kale and Brussels sprout salad recipe with lemon dijon dressing is so fresh and delicious. Each time I make it for a dinner party, it’s a hit. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants sometime a little different but amazing.
You can make the dressing ahead of time and allow it to marinate (in fact, I suggest doing this because the longer the dressing marinates, the more flavorful it gets). Then when you are ready to serve, toss the dressing with the salad mix.
Don’t buy toasted almonds. That’s the cheap way out :). Do as the recipe says. It doesn’t take long. It’s the toasting and salting that makes the almonds and the almonds really make the salad! Just saying.
This healthy salad recipe holds up well and is even great to eat as leftovers the next day!
This kale and Brussels sprout salad recipe is:
Low in sugar
Very high in vitamin A
Very high in vitamin C
Enjoy this salad recipe!
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1 small garlic clove, finely grated or pressed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, plus more for seasoning
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 large bunches of Tuscan kale (about 1 1/2 pounds), center stem discarded and leaves thinly chopped
- 12 ounces Brussels sprouts, trimed, finely grated or finely chopped
- 1/2 cup olive oil, divided
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- Pomegranate seeds or dried cranberries, to garnish (optional)
- In a small bowl, whisk together lemon juice, mustard, shallots, garlic, salt, and a pinch of pepper to taste. Cover, place in refrigerator to marinate for about 20 minutes.
- In a large bowl, toss together kale and Brussels sprouts; set aside.
- Line a plate with paper towels; set aside.
- Pour olive oil in 1/2 cup measuring cup. Remove 1 tablespoon of oil from measuring cup and pour into a small skillet. Warm oil over medium-high heat. Add almonds and stir frequently until almonds are golden brown (about 2 minutes). Transfer to prepared plate and sprinkle with salt to taste.
- Remove dressing from refrigerator and whisk in remaining olive oil until well combined. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Pour dressing over kale and brussels sprouts and toss until well coated. Divide amongst plates and garnish with toasted almonds. (If you want to add extra pop to the salad, try garnishing the salad with pomegranate seeds or dried cranberries for a colorful and delicious flare.
Recipe adapted from BonAppetit.com