This isn’t your ordinary banana bread…This Maple Spelt Banana Bread recipe is very low in sugar with healthy ingredients.
Who doesn’t love banana bread?
If you’re looking for the traditional sweet-ladened banana bread, this maple spelt banana bread recipe isn’t for you. This is a low-sugar, healthy banana bread recipe made with spelt flour, maple syrup, nuts, spices, and, of course, bananas! This recipe can also be made without the syrup to make it a no-sugar banana bread recipe.
What is spelt?
Spelt is an ancient grain that has been cultivated in Europe since 5,000 BCE. It is a hulled wheat not to be confused with its cousin wheat. It’s completely different from wheat with different properties.
Spelt isn’t gluten free but is a gluten grain with a rich nutty flavor that is slightly sweet. However, people with gluten intolerance seem to tolerate spelt.
Spelt contains a broad spectrum of nutrients and is high in vitamin B2, niacin, manganese, thiamin, magnesium and more. Spelt is hardy with a tougher husk than wheat which protects the nutrients inside the grain making it more nutritious than it’s cousin. It’s also easy for the body to absorb because of its highly water soluable content. It’s a great source of dietary fiber, too!
Try experimenting with spelt. Because it breaks down much easier than wheat, your recipes will require less liquid.
Enjoy this new twist on banana bread. Give this maple spelt banana bread recipe a whirl.
I think you’ll also love this gingerbread banana bread loaf! Give it a try…
If you make this recipe, let me know by leaving a comment and rating the recipe. Better yet, take a picture of your creation and tag it #bakerettedotcom on Instagram! I’d love to see what you’ve come up with!
- 1/2 cup unsweetened soy milk
- 2 tablespoons ground chia seed or flaxseed
- 2 cups whole grain spelt flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 3 to 4 very ripe bananas, mashed (about 1 1/2 to 2 cups mashed bananas)
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds or nut of choice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Prepare a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together soy milk and chia seed; set aside to thicken.
- In a medium mixing bowl, sift together flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- Add oil, vanilla and mashed bananas to milk/chia seed mixture until well blended. Slowly incorporate dry ingredients into wet ingredients being careful not to overmix. Fold in nuts.
- Spread batter into prepared loaf pan and bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until the top is browned and a toothpick entered in the center of the bread comes out clean.
- Remove and cool in pan about 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Recipe adapated from Spark Recipes