Want a new twist on cauliflower? Make this recipe for oven roasted cauliflower steaks with a simple lemon-garlic sauce. Outstanding!!
Prior to me having a come-to-Jesus experience with veggies (when I could barely choke down any veggies outside of corn and green beans), one of the first veggies my husband introduced me to that I actually LOVED was cauliflower.
As a vegan, I’m constantly looking for ways to dress up my veggies. I began to experience ways to incorporate cauliflower…like garlicky herb mashed potatoes with cauliflower recipe or 5-ingredient cauliflower soup! Um, YUM!
This recipe for oven roasted cauliflower steaks with a lemon-garlic sauce is a fun, different, and brilliant way to cook your cauliflower and LOVE your veggies. You will LOVE this recipe. You will GROOVE on this recipe. Pinky swear.
No, these “steaks” won’t taste like “beef steaks” so if that’s what you’re looking for, you’ll need to go elsewhere for a recipe. As a vegan, do you think I’d stoop so low? LOL. No, these oven roasted cauliflower steaks are cut into thick slices like steak, but they are cruelty-free :)
You’ll want to buy a very tight head of cauliflower so it’s denser and easier to cut into slices and not fall apart. You will cut your cauliflower in half from top to bottom–even through the core–then cut into thick slices from the center (I emphasize thick because you don’t want them breaking apart). You won’t get many “steaks” out of just one head and you’ll have pieces and crumbles breaking off along the way, and that’s okay. You can roast the pieces just as you would the cauliflower steaks and be just as in love!
These oven roasted cauliflower steaks are:
Low in sodium
Very high in vitamin C
- 1 large, dense head of cauliflower
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes, or to taste
- Mrs. Dash salt-free seasoning blend, to taste
- Salt and ground pepper, to taste
- Chopped green onions, to taste and divided (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- You'll want to buy a very tight head of cauliflower so it's denser and easier to cut into slices and not fall apart. With a very sharp knife, cut the cauliflower head in half from top to bottom--even through the core--then cut into 4 thick slices from the center (I emphasize "thick" because you don't want them breaking apart). You'll have pieces and crumbles of cauliflower breaking off and that's okay. Prepare and roast the pieces of cauliflower just as you would the steaks; just keep an eye on them to make sure they don't turn black.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, red pepper flakes, Mrs. Dash seasoning, salt and pepper until well combined. Using a pastry brush, brush 1/2 of the olive mixture over the tops of the steaks. Sprinkle with half of the chopped green onions.
- Roast steaks for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Using a spatula, gently flip over cauliflower steaks. Brush remaining olive oil mixture over steaks and sprinkle tops with remaining green onion. Continue roasting for an additional 15 to 20 minutes. Serve while warm.
Recipe adapted from Snacking in the Kitchen at AllRecipes.com