It never fails…I always gotta try a new way of cooking chicken. It’s my never-ending quest to find the best recipe; or maybe it’s just my way of curing my boredom. There has to be a million ways to cook chicken; but one of our family’s favorite ways is rotisserie chicken and most recently this slow cooker rotisserie lemon rosemary chicken.
Rotisserie is a style of roasting where meat is skewered on a long rod (spit) used to hold the food while it rotates over a fire to ensure the meat is cooked evenly. When it’s spit-roasted, it cooks slowly from the outside creating a tender, moist inside. Cooks who prepare rotisserie chicken use a rub with spice mixes.
Although this lemon rosemary chicken isn’t slow roasted on a spit, it is slow roasted to perfection in the Crock Pot making it taste (and smell) like a rotisserie chicken.
Start by making a rub out of spices and with your hands coat the whole chicken:
Using your hand, separate the top layer of skin from the breast:
Stuff the opening with some of the spices and slices of lemon, then pull the skin up and over the lemons to seal:
Place the whole chicken in the slow cooker. No need to grease the slow cooker or add water. Just fill up your Crock Pot with the seasoned whole chicken, set the temperature and walk away. It’s that easy! Bonus: Your house will smell uh-mazing!!!
- 1 whole raw chicken, 4-6 pounds, thawed
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh rosemary leaf, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 lemon, sliced about 1/4-inch thick
- Wash chicken inside and out under cold water and pat dry.
- Mix together a rub of garlic powder, rosemary, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Using your hands, coat the outside of the chicken with the rub making sure to get in the crevices.
- Slide your hand under the top layer of the skin on the breast separating the skin from the chicken and spread coat the inside with any remaining spices. Slide as many lemon slices as you can under the skin and pull the skin up and over the lemons to seal.
- If you have any remaining lemons, stuff them in the cavity of the chicken.
- Place the prepared whole chicken in a 4 to 5-quart slow cooker breast-side up. (No need to grease the slow cooker or add water.) Cover with a lid and set on low for 6-8 hours or until the chicken has an internal temperature of 180-degrees Fahrenheit.