Quench your thirst with this ginger-pomegranate punch with apples, oranges and cinnamon.
This is definitely not a drink you can get drunk on :-)
If you’re looking for a spiked concoction to ring in the new year, this isn’t for you (unless, of course, you choose to spike it). I believe in keeping people sober so they drive home safely. Plus, we usually have kids around, and I don’t like the temptation for them to experiment.
Anyway, this is just my thing. Safety first.
We used to have parties and celebrate with friends and play games and watch the ball drop and bang pots and pans. Since Mr. Chef has been working a job that requires him to get up at 2:45 AM each day, we mainly celebrate it among us early and then he goes to bed at an early hour. Lame, I know. We sound like a bunch of old farts. And…we are. :-)
It’s not that we don’t want to ring in the new year, it’s just Mr. Chef’s job gets in the way. However, I do stay up, watch the ball drop, and call kids to wish them a happy new year and hear all about their festivities.
Any-who, just because we are lame and old farts, doesn’t mean we can’t celebrate the new year with delicious food and beverages, right? Right.
I think you’ll like–hopefully love–this ginger-cranberry punch recipe. It’s got just the right amount of pomegranate, ginger, apples, oranges, and cinnamon. It’s the perfect drink (sober one, too) to ring in the new year. Enjoy!
If you make this recipe, let me know by leaving a comment and rating the recipe. Better yet, take a picture of your creation and tag it #bakerettedotcom on Instagram! I’d love to see what you’ve come up with!
- 2 (12 ounce) cans chilled ginger ale
- 1 1/2 cups chilled pomegranate juice
- 2/3 cup chilled apple juice
- 1 2-inch piece fresh ginger, grated
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- Seeds of 1/2 fresh pomegranate, to garnish (optional)
- 1 orange, sliced into thing rounds, to garnish (optional)
- 10 to 12 fresh mint leaves, to garnish (optional)
- Ice, for serving
- Stir together ginger ale, pomegranate juice, and apple juice in a large pitcher or punch bowl.
- Place grated ginger in a cheesecloth or pitcher and gently squeeze 1 1/2 tablespoons of juice from ginger into punch mixture. Stir until well combined. Add cinnamon sticks to punch.
- If desired, garnish with pomegranate seeds, orange slices, and fresh mint. Serve chilled over ice.
Recipe adapted from VegNews November+December 2015 issues