I hope you’ve had a fabulous week! I know I have.
1. My husband was baking a meatloaf (yes, Mr. Chef cooks!) but forgot to put a sheet pan underneath it and the grease dripped all over the bottom of the oven. Then I was baking a cake when the cake batter bubbled up and spilled over into the oven like a volcano spewing lava. I could smell something burning and ran to the oven and saw my cake wreck. Gah! I might have sworn because sometimes “gosh darn it” and “crap” just don’t cover it.
But here’s the funny part. Okay, maybe it wasn’t funny then, but I certainly have been chuckling since…I decided to do the self-cleaning mode to clean our oven disasters. You know how in self-cleaning mode the oven locks and it gets really, really hot? Well, here’s the funny part…the oven caught fire. Smoke was billowing–I mean BILLOWING –out of my oven. I was freaking out. Picture this: smoke sensors going off, me and the dogs hacking and coughing, crawling on the floor under a cloud of smoke to get to the oven to turn it off. I got it turned off, but guess what? The oven was in LOCK-DOWN mode, so I couldn’t even SEE how bad the fire was or what the deal was. The fire snuffed out quickly once I turned off the oven. I opened up windows, doors, and turned on fans to get the smoke sucked out of the house. It was virtually a disaster. The whole house smelled like we’d been camping, including our clothes. Oh my. This will definitely go down in history as a learning moment. Note to self: Do NOT turn the oven on self-cleaning mode when you have spilled grease and cake batter in the oven. Needless to say, I spent nearly two hours slaving over the oven getting it cleaned out. A can of Easy Off and 3 rolls of paper towels later, it’s about 96% cleaner! It was virtually ALL black before. And guess what? The oven still works! Yahoo! I was so worried we’d ruined it. I’ve nicknamed myself : Girl on Fire (anyone read Hunger Games?)
So, I spent about 3 days without cooking, which put me royally behind. Now I’m having remorse…I wish I had taken pictures to document the horror.
2. We had a team dinner and activity at work. We went to a steak house and afterwards went to the Grizzlies hockey game. We were laughing at this guy who was screaming so much his voice went hoarse. I wish I had had a movie camera to film the guy. Then picture a very large woman, black hair frizzed out like Hagar on Harry Potter, decked out in Grizzly gear, fists balled in the air, head plowed forward like a bull wanting to gore something. Forget about the hockey game. These guys were pure entertainment! Sadly, the Grizzlies lost the last 2 minutes of the game. Alaska scored twice in 2 minutes. End of story.
3. We held a funeral yesterday. Our Black & Decker hand mixer died after 23 years on the job. We got it for a wedding gift and it served us well! We had a moment of silence, then gave it a proper burial…ummmm, in the garbage. Sniff, sniff.
4. I took our dog, Roxy, to the vet to have the lumps checked out on her paw and rear end. Sadly, she will have to have surgery this week to have them removed and biopsied. The vet said the one on her rear end he’s not worried about. It’s a fatty tumor. However, he said he’s concerned when he sees lumps on dogs’ paws and lips as it can mean melanoma. Noooooo! Please don’t let that be it!! We’ve got her in our prayers.
5. Sister Chef informed me that I’m like Thomas Edison when it comes to inventing punishments. I’m that good.
5. Oh, and how could I forget to announce this? I got a business license for Bakerette! I’m a sole proprietor now! Can’t wait to file taxes next year–NOT! But I’m darn excited about being an “official” business. I’m feeling like I graduated to big-girl panties. :)
Okay, y’all, that about wraps up the week! Yak at ya later!