I love this no mess vegan chocolate coconut cake recipe that’s made in one bowl. It’s incredibly moist, rises perfectly, rich in chocolate, and so simple to make.
When my kids were little, they despised chocolate. I didn’t get it. I mean who hates chocolate? Such weird birds! I thought for sure they would grow out of it. I heard once that kids have extra taste buds that eventually sluff off, so I chocked it up to that and thought once those extra taste buds sluffed, they’d be hooked. They didn’t. They aren’t.
Huge chocolate eaters they still aren’t. I’m elated…it means more chocolate cake, chocolate chip cookies, and chocolate smoothies for me! LOL. I thought for sure because I am a chocolate addict, they’d inherit my genes. Such is not the case. Sadly, they’ll never know true happiness. They’ll never find the cure for a bad day. They’ll never have the answers to their questions because chocolate is the answer. Sigh.
When I made this chocolate coconut cake, I thought for sure it might be too moist. But in all actuality, it’s perfect!
I love the fact that it’s a no-mess chocolate cake recipe, too! I despise getting out a bunch of bowls to make one simple cake recipe and then spending the rest of the night washing dishes (well, we are without a dishwasher, so I DO spend the rest of the night washing dishes). This chocolate coconut cake recipe can be whipped up in ONE large mixing bowl. Yahoo! I’m saved!
This vegan chocolate coconut cake recipe is:
I think you’ll love this vegan chocolate coconut cake. And if you love this cake recipe, you’ll also love this depression-era cake made in the pan: cRaZy Cake WaCkY cake
M-wah xoxo Jeni
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened soy milk
- 1 tablespoon white or apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup coconut flakes
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (or more, to taste)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 recipe for chocolate frosting
- Chocolate morsels to garnish (optional)
- Coconut flakes to garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Prepare two 8-inch round cake pans* with cooking spray or 9 x 13-inch baking pan and a light dusting of unsweetened cocoa powder; set aside.
- Mix together milk and vinegar and set aside for 10 minutes to curdle
- Beat in applesauce, coconut oil, coconut flakes, and vanilla until well combined.
- Sift together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, soda, baking powder, and salt in batches while stiring in between until smooth and creamy. Pour into prepared cake pans.
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Let cool completely before turning out to frost. Once the cake is cooled, frost generously; adding a thick layer of frosting inbetween the top and bottom layers.
- Frost with your favorite vegan chocolate frosting...or use my vegan chocolate buttercream frosting recipe! So smooth and creamy. If desired, sprinkle with chocolate morsels and/or coconut flakes to garnish..