A light, fresh, and delicious vegetable quinoa salad with crisp corn, black beans, avocado and more.
The 4th of July has always been the worst night of the year for my dogs. The fireworks literally drive them to do things they normally wouldn’t do in their right mind (and nearly drive me to drink!). It makes me wish I had a GoPro attached to their head to see just how in the world they accomplish these feats.
As Saturday approaches, I’ve been especially worrying about how the dogs will handle it this year as one dog’s a bit older and not in as good of fighting shape as he once was. Truth be told, I’m also worrying about what condition my house will be in when I finally make it back home from watching fireworks…Oh, how I wished I owned a dog crate!
Prior to watching fireworks, we will be having a BBQ with friends. One of the salads I will be serving is this vegetable quinoa salad. I hope you’ll also make this salad a part of your plans. It’s such a light, refreshing, and delicious salad with quinoa, crisp corn, black beans, avocado and more.
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) reduced sodium vegetable broth
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed
- 1 can (11 ounces) corn, drained
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 5 green onions, sliced
- 1/2 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley (optional)
- 1/2 cup Italian dressing
- 1 avocado, diced
- In a medium saucepan, add quinoa and broth and bring to a boil over medium-high heat, cover, reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes or until quinoa is tender and broth is absorbed.
- Transfer to a medium-sized bowl. Add remaining ingredients except for avocados and lightly toss. Top with avocado.
- Salad can be stored in the refrigerator up to 24 hours.
Recipe inspired by Kraft Recipes