This dessert is like a watermelon explosion!
Aren’t these watermelon cupcakes just the cutest things you’ve ever seen?
Watermelon just shouts SUMMER, doesn’t it? Summer BBQ’s. Summer Parties.
I have fond memories of eating watermelon at my aunt’s and uncle’s home when I was a young girl; slurping up the juice as it dripped down my mouth, chin, and shirt with sticky hands. I was busily munching and slurping away at my watermelon and spitting my seeds into a paper cup when I noticed my uncle eating his watermelon seeds and all. He had a “paunch” and my brother whispered to me that Uncle Leon was growing a watermelon in his stomach because he ate the seeds. Har har. The little girl in me believed him and I would never eat the seeds. I thought for years that if you ate the seeds, you’d grow a watermelon in your tummy. Thank goodness for seedless watermelon! Ho.
A simple chocolate chip cake recipe creates these adorable watermelon cupcakes. The best part? You can eat the seeds! Wonderful chocolate chip seeds!!
So let’s get this summer partay started!
- White or yellow pre-made cake mix
- 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
- Red, yellow and green food coloring
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line cupcake tins with cupcake liners.
- Make cake mix according to package directions. Add food coloring to make a pink watermelon color. I used red food coloring with a small amount of yellow.
- Fold in chocolate chips and pour batter into prepared cupcake tins about 1/2 to 2/3 full.
- Bake for 20-23 minutes. Allow to cool completely using your favorite buttercream frosting. Add green food coloring to the frosting.
Recipe inspired by Gina Kibler