Use this white buttercream frosting whenever you need to decorate a cake or frost cookies. The flavor is great and it is very workable for decorating.
Need to decorate a cake?
Need to decorate a cake or cookies for a birthday or for the holidays? I’ve got your back. I make this white buttercream frosting whenever I need to decorate a cake or frost cookies. The flavor is great and it is very workable for decorating; and to top it off, it is dairy-free for all of you allergic to milk! And for those of you who are vegan or vegetarian, this is the perfect option.
To make a pure white frosting, I use clear vanilla extract so it doesn’t add any coloring to the icing and I substitute more shortening instead of butter.
If you make this white buttercream frosting, I’d love to hear your comments below and don’t forget to rate the recipe! Take a picture of it, too, and tag me on Instgram @bakerettejen.
- 1/2 cup vegetable shortening
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, softened (such as Earth Balance)
- 1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 4-6 tablespoons soy or almond milk (for medium consistency. Use more, if necessary)
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the shortening and butter with an electric mixer. Add the vanilla.
- Slowly add the confectioners' sugar to the shortening mixture 1/2 cup at a time; beating with an electric mixer as you go. After each addition, add 1 tablespoon milk or until you've reach the desired consistency. Beat at medium speed until mixture is light and fluffy.
Recipe adapted from Wilton.com